Thursday, August 24, 2006

4 real?

For a while now, I've been mulling over the idea of using afictional blog as a space for developing stories and characters for my animations. It seems to offer a number of advantages as a development space - I can post short experimental video clips up there, pictures - start and stop story threads as i wish, and also generate direct feedback through comments etc.

I originally thought I might build my own system, so that i could easily post things like video panoramas, as I can do all that geeky stuff - but as I spend time writing my own blog, using mainstream web 2.0 technoligies like blogger, youtube and so on, it seems to me that what a fictional blog might need is 'realism' - in that if it is to be convincing, it should use available technology and services.

For example, although Inanimate Alice is a crafted piece of rich media which is immersive, it is made believable as a web fiction by 'Alice' posting a real life blog, and as she is a game designer, it's not too hard to believe that she would be able to come up with a nice piece of interactive Flash. - However, if i were to follow this route entirely, all my characters would have to be computer programmers!

I guess the reason I'm posting this is because I'd like to hear your feedback about whether it's necessary or desirable in web fiction for it to be embedded in the reality of the web. I've noticed increasingly in print fiction that a first person author will offer a context for why you are hearing their story. In Hey! Nostradamus -the main character describes the Invoice paper he is writing the story on - and in the 'Curious incident of the dog in the night-time', the story is told as a school report - so we are increasingly conscious of the author's world and where these words are being placed, rather than reading the voice as an inner monologue. Both examples would be great if you could actually buy them on invoice paper or bound in a plastic sleeve from 'stationery box' - but obviously too costly!

On the web though, we have that relationship and context straight away - if I write to a generic 'you' in a post - each reader assumes they are being spoken too, and the blog wraps a realism around it - it doesn't matter if it is fiction or not, the blog reader knows howto read it, how it was written and who it is for. I wonder how far this will go - are there any computer games where i'm not the character, but the character speaks to me and explains why they are speaking to me through a game?

Anyway, bit of a ramble there, but hopefully something that some of you may be able to feed back on. - Which is better for web fiction, bespoke application or existing tools?

No comments: