Friday, May 19, 2006

Picture Day!

I've got quite a few new pics to show of Second Life avatars. All the characters are nearly finished and ready to go.

Sara and Makiao have been scripting a system which allows our machinima 'actors' to change expressions instantly. I supplied them with a range of faces - simple expression things, which are mapped onto an invisible obje ct which sits over the centre of the face - here's the pics, with notes...

This first one is us meeting in world to look at the face mapping system. Sara is dressed in her punker/skater-girl outfit, I am dressed in my usually big-girls blouse dolly attire - I really need to get something more macho, I'm beginning to feel like a virtual Grayson Perry - and Ricard is, for some reason, dressed as a large coke with bendy straw.

More pics...




















Meet the family...




Here's the characters, all ready for their face mapping. This image doesn't really do them justice, cos it's from a fairly rubbish computer, so Nana's glasses for example render as hexagons instead of circles. But still you can see how it's progresses - It's a pity the Sabina character is hidden behind nana and grandad, next time I'll make individual portraits. What's really made my day with this project is how easily my 2-d character designs became 3-d - the translation is great, which i didn't think it would be. It's actually made my drawing better too, because working on building objects from really simple shapes makes you revisit drawing 101 about structure and proportion.

And in Real Life News....
In my profile bit right at the beginning, I mentioned I shared a shop with a friend. It's called Eye Candy and it sells all sorts of sweet arty stuff. We launched an online shop at the start of May, which coincided with SideShow, a kind of fringey add on to the British Art Show. Active Ingredient, the company I used to work with (one day, when drunk, I will type in a long post about what exactly I mean by 'used to work with'...-that's not a promise, more a fear...), set up an online streaming project called MAKE TV. Me and Nicola (who I share the shop with) decided to do a weekly QVC-style shopping channel, desperately selling our wares. Last night was the final one, and we decided to stage a row on air. There'd been an article in the Guardian on Saturday about TV channels that no-one watches, so we wanted to spoof that... I'm archiving the webcasts at the moment, and will link to them soon. It was a really good laugh, and we hopefully got more people watching than the folks in the paper. On Saturday, I went over to Steven and Jeanie's to play banjo and watch TV, and we watched some of the worst telly on earth. - You become hypnotised by the desperation of some poor media graduate sat for four hours trying to get drunks to ring in to answer some riddle so cryptic, I'm sure Dan Brown is penning some shit best-seller about it now, or at least getting his wife to. It's like working in a call centre, except no-one's calling in. I worked in a call centre, which is another long post to come, and it was desperate - trying to sell bad software to people who either had better stuff, or didn't want it/know what it was, or own a computer...

Anyway, I'll post a link to the archives soon, in the meantime, here's Jeanie and Steve's daughter Betsy watching us online...





No comments: