Monday, June 25, 2007

The Boys of Horror

If I was on some TV talent show, I'd say the last few weeks have been an emotional roller coaster. My Nana died a couple of weeks ago, and although it was a long time coming, and ultimately a relief as she was so ill for so long, it's still hit us all hard, especially after the funeral was done. On a positive note, Our Paul asked me to be the godfather for his new baby, which is brilliant, and has given everyone the chance to do awful Marlon Brando impressions, which is no bad thing.

So, it was great to go away last weekend and get my head together, locked in a flat with no heating or hot water in Whitby watching horror films with the Boys of Horror...


Boys of Horror embark on Whitby's inaugral manned Space mission. L-R: Matt, Steve, Chris, John



Whitby is great, and our flat was about 500 yards from the centre of town. We did all the touristy bits; got soaked on a boat trip, climbed the 199 steps up to the church on the hill, and me and Chris went to the Dracula experience - only £1.95 for one of the most shoddily put together exhibitions ever! That's not to say it wasn't absolutely fantastic. Imagine if you had a job lot of old mannequins, and some sensor lights from Wilkos. Then you decided to turn your tiny 2 up 2 down terrace into a leading attraction, you could build this show for about 150 quid and just watch the money roll in. It's essentially the key scenes from Coppolla's Dracula set up in different rooms, which light up when you go in. Nothing about the original story, Stoker or other interpretations, just a few dummies dressed up, with the added bonus of the ghost face killer from Scream jumping out at you (which I think was cut from the original Dracula) now and again, the worst Summer Job in the world.





As I said though, it was great, I'm going to open up my garden as the Honey I shrunk the Kids experience by leaving some Lego and Playmobils on the lawn.

The highlight of the weekend though was watching a rough cut of Steve's film, Mum and Dad. It was, even in its rough state, a great piece of low-budget British horror. I can't wait to see the finished version, as it's already so powerful and shocking. The acting is really good, and it doesn't do the usual characters for 20 minutes, running around for 70 minutes plus tacked on potential sequel scene, it's got strong characterisation and story developmnet throughout.

I also bought myself a Whitby Lucky Duck. I've decided to document Duck-related luck, to see if it works, and so I can get my letter in the window of the lucky duck shop.



Me and Matt have gone into competition to see who's luck works best - he has joined Match.com, I have bought a small piece of duck shaped glass. Surely my wishing on an inanimate object has more chance of bringing luck than practical life altering steps? We shall see...

Must get back to Whitby soon, there's still a fortune teller and a victorian photo studio I have to waste cash on...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey

Whitby was great and we should go again - I love your description of the fantastically corny Dracula Experience - it's worth reminding people reading this that I leapt out of my skin when the evil ghost face killer from the Scream films jumped out of the dark (I made a noise like Ned Flanders screeching in The Simpsons) as that slasher killer is the LAST person you expect to see in a Vampire themed museum (If I can call it a museum... I can't really can i!?)... mind you I continued to scream and over-react (honest!) and I think this means his day was made and he felt that all the effort he had put in over the years has been rewarded... a little like the woman in the rock-shop who appreciated me buying dracula rock for Steve, who she mistook for a simple minded giant child (I think... or else she thought I was an obvious irritant).

Over all the weekend was great though- Steve's film, and it was only a rough cut, was really dynamic without being obvious... Kolchak was brilliantly funny (as usual)... martin was such a radical piece of Romero's great career... The Innocents was beautiful and subtle... and Incredible Melting Man stole all our hearts like ET or other child orientated sci-fi fare...??

Looking forward to the next one

and reincarnation tonight!!

That sounds like we doin mad expeiment or something?

all the best

cooke